Thursday, April 1, 2010

Meet the Maker: Shadows and Tall Trees

Today we Meet up with OOAK seller Charlie Poole of Shadows and Tall Trees to find out a bit more about her creative side.



Hey Charlie! Tell us a bit about you and your work.

I have always had a passion for arts and crafts and am always doing something creative in my spare time.

I went to Poole College where I attended an Art and Design Diploma course for two years. This course involved fine arts, life drawing, animation, sculpture, glass blowing and narrative image.

After leaving college I have still been very busy painting and creating clay ornaments and briefly had an arts stall at the Boscombe Underground.

I specialize in Icons and Movies but have recently been looking at masks and drawing my own designs which I hope to make soon. I hope to save up and get my own kiln so I can create more glass ornaments.


Doctor Who


How did you get into crafting/art?

Ever since I was young I have always loved to draw and make things. The only class I really enjoyed at school was art but after I left school I did not pursue this as I have always been told that I should get a “proper” job.

I went to college on an animal management course but soon realized that this was not for me and that to be happy in life I should follow my dreams and two years later, I quit the office to go back to college and get into art and design again. This was the best choice I ever made as I have learnt so much there and I am now drawing everyday and my skills are always improving.


Brian Molko


Who or what inspires you?

I am very inspired by music. I can just be listening to a song with a blank canvas in front of me and then an idea comes to me and I start drawing. Sometimes I don’t even know what it is until I finished and that’s the most exciting part.

I am also very inspired by movies and characters, I am a huge film buff so I love to paint my own interpretations of my favorite characters.

My artistic style is very unique, I do not worry much about proportions and perfection, making my work sometimes very quirky and surreal. I am very inspired by Tim Burton and his dark, yet beautifully gothic vision.


Dance of Death


When you’re not creating, what do you do?

These days it is very rare I am not creating. I have started to give myself my own projects to and I have been putting all my time into that.

I like to go to the cinema and out to gigs with friends as music and film are my other two big passions.


Cobain


Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

I hope to have produced lots of artwork and have my own little shop in Camden with some other artists. I also hope to start designing and creating my own clothing range.


Ziggy Stardust


You can find Charlie's work for sale on OOAK, or if you would like her to do a commission for you please get in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment